Thursday, January 5, 2012

Poop and a Wolf Trap - OR - Being a Mom

So yesterday I found myself not knowing whether to cry or laugh at myself at my dinner table around 7pm. No, I haven't totally lost my mind. I was just reflecting on recent events. Less than 30 minutes before I had been voluntarily holding human feces. This was a CHOICE I had made and at the time I really didn't think about it - instead I though about the amount of work I would have to do if I didn't do that disgusting act. It started with Wyatt coming home from daycare with a terrible rash on his little hind end. This led to our taking off his diaper for the evening and letting him walk around in what God gave him. This sounds easy enough until you consider the fact that at any moment he can (and did) sprinkle tinkle. Likewise, he can (and did) toot and on occasion, poop, and being in nothing other than what God gave him...there is nothing to stop it! He was walking all around the house (he walks quite well now), taking socks out of his drawer, going through the cabinets in the kitchen...awww how cute that he can get around so well -right?! Then he went into the living room, started "reading" a book on the ottoman, and stared at me with those big blue eyes...and tooted - a really loud toot. He giggled, then I looked down at his bottom and sure enough, it was more than a toot. I lunged across the floor and with my bare hands caught what was happening. At the moment I was thinking, Dear God I don't want to try to clean that out of the area rug. So, I caught it, then threw what I could in the trash, washed the rest off of Wyatt and off of my hand, cleaned my Aggie ring extra good, put a diaper on him and put his P.J.s on. Drama behind us, I thought I could get on with my evening. My parents had been visiting and were getting ready to leave. We were talking at the table when the reality of what I had just done hit me - I started laughing because that seemed like a better alternative to crying. I had just voluntarily caught human poop in my hand - WHAT!!!!! I mean seriously, the carpet could be cleaned!!! What has happened to my decision making skills? As I was pondering this question I realized the girls had been quiet for a little while. With all the Wyatt excitement they sort-of had freedom to do as they pleased. Grandma and Grandpa were getting ready to leave so they needed to say good-bye, this was as good a reason as any to go check on the girls. What did I find? My two girls playing sweetly and innocently together?? Well, sort of. I walked in on what I would call a messy pile of about a dozen or more baby boy blankets covered with the contents of two large kleenex boxes. My girls, however, explained that it was not such a pile, it was, in fact, a wolf trap!!! A WOLF TRAP!!!! I had to laugh. I mean, what wolf wouldn't be tricked by the camo and blue blankets so carefully covered with double ply ultra care Kleenex???!! At least they were trying to protect their brother, I guess,trapping any wolfs that might wander into his room. We spent the next few minutes re-stuffing the two very large and very empty kleenex boxes and folding blankets. Later, with my parents gone, my kids asleep, and right before I fell asleep on the couch, I vaguely remember thinking, it sure is great being a mom!

And just for laughs - you know how everyone always says they want skin like a baby? Well my friends, I believe I have achieved that goal. See the folds and dimples on this infant's skin ( See the back, rear, legs)? I have areas of my body that look very much like that!



Oh, and Christmas and New Year were great this year. December is a haze because it flew by so quickly but we had amazing times with all of our family. The kids got more than they needed. Sadly, my Grandma Dornak passed away at 94.5 years old. She was one amazing lady and is greatly missed, espically sinceshe was the only Grandma I ever knew. I know she was happy to be reunited with Grandpa and Our Lord for Christmas! It still stinks that she is gone. Her long term memory was pretty good but the shorter term wasn't as reliable. I guess after 90+ years you earn the right to not remember everyone you meet. I kindof liked the fact that every time I saw her these pasat two years, I would show her my kids and she'd ask whose they were. I'd say, "Grandma, these are my kids." The look on her face was first surprise and then unmistakable pride. I'm going to miss that look.

Here are a few pics from our December. Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.






No comments:

Post a Comment